Thursday 27 August 2015

     An Amazing Story of Courage & Determination

This is a story that will truly make you think twice about sweating the small things in life. It's about a local woman with high ambitions and an attitude we can all learn a lot from.
"I honestly had some really rough days, and my mom told me you can sit around feeling bad for yourself and you can be what you need to be, do what you need to do. And I chose the latter, and I'm happy," said attorney Shannon Filbert.
Shannon never had any doubts about accomplishing her goals -- although that isn't always the case with people who first meet her.
This all happened after a car accident at 16 left her paralyzed from the neck down but her will was stronger than ever.
"I was determined to go back to school and graduate with my class on time. I did graduate on schedule and went right to UB."
Then she went on to law school and after graduation, Shannon took a job at the Legal Aid Bureau, where she represents children in abuse and neglect cases. At 29, she's making a name for herself as an attorney.
"She has broken barriers in the community. She's a role model for any other individual who might have disabilities," said Shannon's boss Pamela Neubeck.
She is also a part-time prosecutor in West Seneca Town Court. The same aides who assist her at home follow Shannon to work, to help her at the office.
Her bosses cut her no breaks -- she works long hours, has a heavy caseload -- and has high ambitions and a focus on her future.
"I'm a strong person, and I wouldn't want to live my life any different: Keep moving forward and attaining goals. Honestly, I would like to be a judge someday."

No comments:

Post a Comment